Note: Bed-Stuy Strong will be functioning in a limited capacity through the summer. Our food mutual aid operation will be on pause from June through September, and organizers will be on vacation from June 13th through July 11th. There will be no onboarding sessions for new members during the organizer vacation. We look forward to returning refreshed and picking up where we left off! If you are interested in joining us, please fill out the new member form and we’ll reach out to you by mid-to-late July.
New Member Sign Up
Bed-Stuy Strong (BSS) is a mutual aid network of neighbors helping neighbors in a spirit of solidarity. All of our members are ordinary folks giving and receiving help.
Since COVID-19 hit NYC in March 2020, hundreds of BSS members have been part of various projects in Bed-Stuy like grocery delivery, expanding wifi access, trash clean up, and civic engagement in protests, voting, and the census. Members also directly support each other by redistributing resources (like air conditioners, winter clothing, baby clothes, and rent assistance) within our neighborhood.
Signing up to become a BSS member means that you will:
- Receive our weekly newsletter by email (volunteer opportunities, events, asks/offers)
- Have access to our online BSS Members Hub (community calendar, working groups)
- Be invited to our online forum on Slack (for organizing/coordinating)
- Get text message updates (optional)
Our Guiding Principles
- We move in solidarity.
- We do the work humbly.
- We draw on our neighborhood’s legacy of resourcefulness.
- We are accountable to and show care, for each other, and to neighbors who seek our support, particularly those who have been historically excluded by systems of power.
- We hold space for joyful, compassionate, imaginative work and thinking.
As a BSS member, you are lovingly encouraged to move in solidarity with neighbors by asking for help when you need it, and providing support when you’re able to.